Scope of Dining Policies

The following sections contain general policies for students who have purchased an on-campus meal plan. Virginia Tech students and student organizations that have an on-campus meal plan are required to know and to comply with these policies. Violations of this policy can be adjudicated by the governing department and/or Student Conduct, when appropriate.

Dining policies and procedures are governed by Dining Services, for information detailing the operation of dining plans, Dining Dollars accounts, refunds and terms. For full information, go to

All on-campus residents are required to purchase one of the major dining plans as part of their housing/dining contract. Off-campus students may choose to purchase any dining plan.

If you lose your ID card, contact the Hokie Passport Office at 231-5121 (Monday-Friday, 8:00 a.m.-5:00 p.m.), or the Virginia Tech Police Department at 231-6411 (after hours) so your ID card can be deactivated to prevent misuse. You must have a driver's license or another form of photo identification in order to report your lost ID.

The university assumes no responsibility for illegitimate purchases from your account prior to your notifying the proper authorities that it is lost or stolen.

All customers wishing to use a dining account to purchase food must present their Hokie Passport ID for payment. In order to protect your account, there will be no exceptions.

Customers who have lost a Hokie Passport ID will need to do one of the following in order to eat:

  1. Monday - Friday before 5:00 p.m.:  Go to the Hokie Passport Office located in 100 Student Services Building to obtain a new Hokie Passport ID card.
  2. Monday - Friday after 5:00 p.m. or on the weekends
    Go to Owens Food Court to request and complete a lost card disclaimer. This disclaimer will allow you to eat at Owens Food Court or D2 (you cannot eat at West End Market, Hokie Grill & Co., Squires Food Court, or Deet's Place). You will be required to obtain a new Hokie Passport ID by 5:00 p.m. the following business day.
  3.  Pay cash.

After re-validating your account, take your new ID to the dining center where you ate to ensure your account has been correctly updated.

Dining Dollars and Hokie Passport Accounts cannot be accessed without a student ID card.

Students who are sick or unable to visit a dining facility due to a temporary physical disability (e.g., broken leg or back injury) can make special arrangements for meals. To authorize a friend to pick up a meal, call the assistant director or management staff of one of the dining centers listed below in advance to arrange for the service and provide the following information:

  • Name of the person who will pick up the meal
  • Meal preference
  • Time when the meal will be picked up
  • Telephone number where the student can be reached
  • Hokie Passport number of the person requesting the meal

Give your Hokie Passport and the name of the manager you spoke with to the person picking up the meal, who must see a manager and obtain a special pass to present to the cashier. Your friend or roommate will purchase the sick meal by charging it to your card and then have his or her card swiped for record-keeping purposes. (No charge will be billed to the friend’s account.)

You must call for each sick meal needed. If the illness or temporary disability lasts more than two days, a doctor’s note detailing the condition must be presented to a manager.

Use the following phone numbers to arrange for this service:

  • Owens Food Court at Owens Hall: 540-231-6187
  • Hokie Grill & Co. at Owens Hall: 540-231-6187
  • West End Market at Cochrane Hall: 540-231-4779
  • D2 at Dietrick Hall: 540-231-6130
  • Deet's Place at Dietrick Hall: 540-231-6130
  • DXpress at Dietrick Hall: 540-231-6130
  • Turner Place at Lavery Hall: 540-231-5948


The reusable bottle issued by Dining Services is the only personal container approved by the Health Department for refilling in the dining facilities. This bottle may only be filled with water or soda and must be presented to the cashier prior to filling with soda. A discounted price will be charged for the soda. The bottle may not be used for filling with milk, juice or coffee.

The bottle is allowed only in Owens Food Court, DXpress, Hokie Grill, West End Market, Turner Place, Vet Med Café, Burger ‘37 and au Bon Pain café in Squires. It is not allowed in any all-you-can eat facility (D2) and cannot be filled in any facility which does not offer self-serve water and soda beverages (Deets Place, or Au Bon Pain  Squires Kiosk). 

Virginia Tech registered student organizations, colleges, and departments may request permission to place table cards in dining centers. Commercial advertising is not permitted.

For full information, go to

Our Dine with Faculty program allows student dining plan holders the opportunity to take Virginia Tech faculty members out to eat on us. This is an opportunity for students to meet with faculty in a casual setting to discuss mutual interests and enhance the overall educational experience. For full information: