The following sections contain general policies for students living on campus. Virginia Tech students and student organizations who live on campus or use on campus residential facilities are required to know and to comply with these policies. Violations of this policy can be adjudicated by the governing department and/or the Student Conduct, when appropriate.

As a member of the residential community, you are expected to abide by all of the standards of responsibility and behavior outlined in this publication as well as the terms and conditions of your housing/dining contract.  Each student who resides on campus is required to sign a housing/dining contract prior to assignment. You are responsible for familiarizing yourself with the terms and conditions of the contract. You have the option of electronically signing the contract or requesting a paper copy; either way, when the contract is signed and returned, it becomes a binding agreement —a legal contract—between the you and the university.  The terms and conditions of the housing/dining contract can be found at    

Any personal property left in the residence hall room, common area, or in any storage area after termination of the housing contract occupancy period is considered abandoned. Abandoned items deemed to have value are tagged as to date and location of discovery, and stored in a temporary holding area by the Housekeeping staff.

If the item can be identified as belonging to a specific occupant or room, an e-mail will be sent to the resident's university e-mail address. If the item remains unclaimed at the end of one week (7 days) after such notification, the Housekeeping staff, at its sole discretion, may discard the item directly, or transfer it to the university surplus property office for final disposal.

A claimed item must be retrieved by its owner within one week (7 days) of being claimed, or it will be discarded or transferred to surplus property, as above.

The university assumes no liability for damage or loss of any abandoned property on its premises.

Residence hall rooms are not designed for and are not safe for cooking. Electrical appliances such as electric stoves, George Foreman-type grills, toaster ovens, toasters, crock pots, sandwich makers, air conditioners, space heaters, hot plates, and other open-coiled appliances are not permitted for usage in residence hall rooms. Students may register with their Area Office personal electrical appliances for storage purposes only. Students seeking to cook and utilize electrical appliances in the process are expected to use one of the kitchens located in many of the residence halls. For fire safety reasons, if residents use kitchens, they are required to monitor equipment and be present while items are cooking. Residents must clean up the area after use.

Small appliances that have fully enclosed heating elements and are UL approved, such as coffee makers, irons, and small microwaves (1,000 watts or less) are permitted for usage in residence hall rooms. Microwaves are not provided in public areas of residence halls. Only one small microwave per residence hall room and per suite room is allowed. One refrigerator is permitted in each room; however, it may not exceed 4.5 cubic feet in capacity with an electrical rating of 120 volts and no more than 2.0 amps when in operation.

Alterations of any kind to the electrical system of a room are strictly prohibited. Multiple-outlet strips are permitted if they are UL listed, have a maximum ampere rating of 15, and have an integral circuit breaker over current protection. Multiple-outlet strips cannot be plugged into one another, and only two per student are permitted. No extension cords of any kind are permitted. Halogen bulb lamps and high intensity lamps are prohibited in residence hall rooms.    

Fire Arms and Ammunition

By university regulation, Virginia Tech students are prohibited from possessing or storing weapons and/or ammunition on campus. Any student who wishes to bring a firearm and/or ammunition to campus must store the firearm and/or ammunition at the Virginia Tech Police Department. The department maintains a secure locked area within the department for firearm/ammunition storage purposes. Please visit for more information.

Flammable Items

Flammable items, such as fuel (propane, lamp oil, solvents, gasoline, etc.), may not be stored in rooms or around residence halls. Items that require an open flame, operate on fuel, or produce heat, such as Bunsen burners, lighted candles, incense, and alcohol burners, are prohibited. Candles, incense, and other items producing an open flame may not be burned in the residence halls, except as part of a regulated religious ceremony approved in advance by Environmental, Health, and Safety Services   

Room Decorations

Room personalization and holiday decorations must comply with regulations governing fire and electrical safety in the residence halls. The hallway side of the room or suite door may not be decorated. Only a small message/memo board (not exceeding 200 square inches) may be placed on this side of the door. Consult your RA or HS with any questions. Decorations that do not meet regulations must be removed. For more information, refer to the Policy for Residence Hall Decorations at    

Motorized vehicles, hover boards, and fuel are prohibited in all areas of the residence halls. Bike racks are provided adjacent to most residence halls, so you should not chain your bike to telephone poles, stair rails, etc. Also, you are permitted to keep your bikes in your residence hall room if your roommate agrees. Bikes may not be ridden inside of the residence halls. They may not be placed in stairwells, lounges, corridors, bathrooms, or any other public areas in the residence halls. We recommend that you place your bike in your room or take it home during university breaks.

Bicycles, motorcycles, and other vehicles are further governed by Virginia Polytechnic Institute and State University Policy and Procedures No. 5005. This policy is available at    

Common Areas are defined as shared locations within residential facilities where students assume mutual responsibility for the maintenance and upkeep of that space. Common areas may include, but are not limited to, suites, lounges, kitchens, bathrooms, hallways, stairwells, mail rooms, and elevators.

Students may be billed for damage, vandalism, stolen furniture, or housekeeping charges in a common area when the responsible individuals cannot be determined. The group billed may include one of the following: suitemates, a portion of the floor, all the residents of a floor, or some or all residents of the building. The location of the damage and the nature of the circumstances surrounding the damage incident will determine the group billed.

When a common area damage situation is discovered, a Common Area Damage Alert will be posted in the area in which the damage took place after the cost of cleanup, repair, or replacement has been determined. In addition to this posting, hall staff will make every effort possible to inform the residents who may be charged for the damage and cost. For a listing of common damage charges, visit

If the responsible individual(s) is not determined, the group will be billed based on either an estimate or actual damage repair costs.  Due to the timing, scope, and scale of the damage, the timeline of the charges being posted to the account may vary. Common area damage billings are not subject to appeal.

NOTE: Typically a group billing will not be pursued if the cost of the damage is less than $2 per resident. However, if an accumulation of damage charges exceeds the $2 minimum for the semester, a billing may be done. Student Affairs reserves the right to bill for lower amounts at their discretion.    

The Division of Student Affairs adds all residential and off-campus students holding a dining plan to a mandatory listserv that provides direct connection to students for the dissemination of relevant information.  E-mail is a primary means of communication with students, particularly for time-sensitive subjects such as utility and emergency notices. Residents are expected to check their VT e-mail accounts on a regular basis, as they are responsible for reading and understanding the shared material.   Students are also expected to regularly check their postal mailboxes.

As specified in the Housing/Dining Contract, the contract shall be terminated if the student completes requirements for graduation, or for any other reason is not enrolled in the University. (If the student subsequently returns to the University during the contract period, the contract shall be reactivated upon the student's re-enrollment.) The University reserves the right to terminate the contract in the interest of order, health, maximum utilization of facilities, or disaster after due notice to the student.

Release from the contract for considerations other than those listed above will be made upon the recommendation of the Contract Review Committee. A request for termination does not automatically break the contract. The committee will consider extenuating circumstances with regard to the impact upon both the student and the University.

For more information, refer to the Housing/Dining Contract Terms and Conditions or go to

In effort to promote a safe and engaging living and learning environment for members of the residential community, all residence halls are equipped with an electronic door access, or "key card systems," that limit entry to residents and their escorted guests. It is the responsibility of all residents and staff to carry their Hokie Passport cards at all times, deny entrance to any person not authorized to enter the building and report unescorted guests and non-residents. Concerns about unauthorized entry or suspicious individuals should be reported promptly to residence hall staff and to the Virginia Tech Police Department. Because residents have card access only to their respective building and all visitors must be escorted, you should permit only residents you know to enter behind you and not allow tailgating; each resident and/or those with authorized card access should swipe their card to enter.

Controlled access is further governed by Virginia Polytechnic Institute and State University Policy and Procedures No. 5615, section 2.2.5. This policy is available at Violations of this policy can be adjudicated by the governing department and/or Student Conduct, when appropriate.

Housing and Residence Life works with the Services for Students with Disabilities (SSD) office ( to ensure that students with disabilities receive equal access to education and opportunities within the academic community. SSD has primary responsibility in reviewing accommodation requests and determining reasonable and appropriate accommodations. Disability accommodations relating to on-campus housing and dining follow mandates required by the Americans with Disabilities Act (ADA) and other applicable federal and state laws.

Students with a disability desiring assistance or accommodation should notify the Senior Associate Director for Housing Services at (540) 231-6207 or e-mail, contact SSD at (540) 231-3788, or e-mail Reasonable accommodations are considered for qualified individuals with disabilities who provide required documentation from medical professionals. Accommodation request forms are available through the housing and the SSD offices.    

Distribution of literature within the residence halls without permission from the Central Office of Housing and Residence Life is strictly prohibited. Slipping literature under doors or randomly hanging flyers on walls or windows inside residential space is not permitted. Entities interested in distributing materials within residential communities must request permission by submitting a Distribution Request Form at 151 New Hall West. Materials that are approved will be limited to designated central distribution locations.

Please refer to Virginia Polytechnic Institute and State University Policy and Procedures No. 5215 for further information about sales, solicitation and advertising. This policy outlines the guidelines and procedures relating to sales or solicitation on the Virginia Tech campus. This policy applies to sale or solicitation activities by students and student organizations. This policy is available at    

Freight elevators are not intended for passenger use. 

A campus “Emergency”, such as a power outage, ice storm, severe weather warning, or secure-in-place situation, will be assessed by university officials in the initial moments of the event to determine the threat to life and property, survey damages, and plan how staff and emergency services can best re-establish or continue to provide necessities such as shelter, food, and sanitation. Students who are not personally at risk from the emergency should plan to carry on without services for a period of time within the first 48 hours of an event. Students may be directed to stay in their residence hall rooms if they aren’t damaged, or in classrooms or dining halls in case of some outside threat to the campus community. Students are highly encouraged to prepare for self-management by maintaining a simple emergency kit in their rooms including short-term food supplies. Students should follow the directions of university officials, including faculty, staff, and Virginia Tech police.

Further information can be found at   

Whenever a building’s general fire alarm sounds, all members of the building community are expected to evacuate the residence hall according to established evacuation procedures. The local fire department and the Virginia Tech Police respond to all building alarms. Refer to for specific evacuation instructions. If you think you will have difficulty responding to the fire alarm or evacuating the building quickly, consult with your RA or HS.    

All Student Affairs facilities are operated according to a comprehensive fire and life safety program that complies with local, state, and federal regulations. The regulatory source agencies and the complete Student Affairs fire and safety information are available at

Student rooms, common areas, storage, and mechanical areas are subject to regular inspection by the Virginia State Fire Marshal’s office officials, Environmental Health and Safety Services personnel, and Student Affairs staff. You are advised to be knowledgeable of the policies prior to moving into a residence hall, noting the following items especially:

Flammable items, such as fuel (propane, lamp oil, solvents, gasoline, etc.), may not be stored in rooms or around residence halls. Items that require an open flame, operate on fuel, or produce heat, such as Bunsen burners, lighted candles, incense, and alcohol burners, are prohibited. Candles, incense, and other items producing an open flame may not be burned in the residence halls, except as part of a regulated religious ceremony approved in advance by Environmental, Health, and Safety Services 

Food may be delivered to residence halls, academic/administrative offices, and outdoor locations by vendors. Such deliveries are permitted only in response to prepaid orders or to specific orders by resident students and employees. Vendors making food deliveries are not allowed within the building and must be met outside the residence hall as the residential sections of the buildings are for residents and their escorted guests only.

According to the university’s Environmental, Health, and Safety Services, students should leave ceiling, wall and floor materials, pipe insulation, trim paint, and window putty undisturbed because they may contain lead or asbestos. If left undisturbed, these surfaces are safe. Areas with asbestos-containing materials are inspected every six months to ensure that the materials are intact. The university’s monitoring program will find and repair unsafe conditions if and when they develop.

Housekeeping staff care for the public areas of the buildings during the academic year including bathrooms, hallways, and lounges.  While Housekeeping staff members work to maintain a high level of care for the safety and cleanliness of community common spaces, students residing within the residence halls are held accountable for keeping shared residential areas clean and safe. Students are required to clean their own rooms and shared suite areas.  Students are responsible for removing trash and recycling from their rooms in a timely manner.  Accumulated garbage attracts pests and is detrimental to the Facilities comprehensive pest management policy.  Students who fail to practice good housekeeping could be responsible for associated charges for pest management.   Housekeeping service is provided for bathrooms shared by multiple rooms in suite-style buildings. 

Public use kitchens are provided in many of the facilities as a courtesy.  Students using these areas are responsible for maintaining the cleanliness of these areas after use.  Students are required to clean all pots, pans, and dishes used and return them to their proper place.  All sinks, counters and floors must be cleaned after each use.  Failure to maintain community kitchens may result in fines and/or access being denied.

Residents, depending on their residence hall access structure, will receive a physical key, combination, PIN number, or electronic access through their Hokie Passport (or alternate access card) that operates both their individual room, suite room door as appropriate, external building doors, and their mailbox. Virginia State law prohibits the duplication of residence hall keys for any reason. If you lose your keys, the locks must be changed and the expense billed to your account. Residents are required to notify Housing and Residence Life of a lost key in a timely manner. To notify of a lost key, residents should go to their area office to receive a temporary replacement while a lock change is being scheduled.

If you become locked out of your room, Resident Advisors and House Supervisors have access to master keys/access cards and may unlock only the room to which you are assigned. Requesting this service more than three times per semester may jeopardize your privileges and result in a Student Conduct complaint. If you lose a room key and your Resident Advisor or House Supervisor is not available, check with another staff member in the building. If you cannot find a staff member, contact your area office and then the Key Control Office in 26 Owens Hall. Housekeeping and maintenance staffs are not permitted to let residents into their rooms.

Keys are further governed by Virginia Polytechnic Institute and State University Policy and Procedures No. 5620. This policy is available at

If a room requires repair, students are expected to submit a work order online at Please include full contact information when submitting work orders.  Automatic email notifications are sent when technicians enter your space and again as work orders are completed. There is no charge for repairs or maintenance to rooms resulting from normal use. However, repairs needed because of vandalism, misuse, or abuse will result in bills for the repair. Email notifications will be sent to the resident that submitted the work order prior to the completion of the requested maintenance.  This notification will replace individual entry notifications. 

It is important to understand that room sinks are not intended to have solid food waste disposed in them.  Clogged drains caused by disposal of food items, a common maintenance request by students, may be billable to the residents of that room or community.  Maintenance conducts routine preventative maintenance in all buildings.  Preventative maintenance may be performed in rooms during break periods.  3m command strips or similar products should be used to hang items on walls to prevent billable damage.  Many of the facilities have fire sprinklers.  These sprinklers cannot have items hung on them and must remain unobstructed at all times. 

For situations that threaten health and safety, the resident should notify the Resident Advisor /House Supervisor, call the Facilities Help Desk at 1-1111, or notify the Virginia Tech police 1-6411. 

Sharps containers are special containers for disposal of sharp medical instruments used to administer prescribed medications. Sharps cannot be disposed of in regular trash receptacles. For more information about obtaining and disposing of sharps containers, visit

According to the American Society of Heating, Refrigeration, and Air-Conditioning Engineers (ASHRAE) Guideline 55-2004, summer temperature range for indoor comfort is 73-79˚F with Relative Humidity (RH) of 40-60%. Winter guidelines are for indoor temperature range of 69-76˚F and RH range of 30-50%. ASHRAE developed these recommendations for employee comfort but they are also applicable to any indoor environment intended for human occupancy, including dorm rooms. 

Microbiologists agree that mold spores are everywhere and can be very difficult to filter out since normal use of a space by people will constantly re-seed a space with spores brought in from outdoors. Nutrients are also very difficult to control as any organic matter will support the growth of mold. Organic matter can include skin cells shed by humans on a daily basis, cellulose in ceiling tiles or books, dust and debris on surfaces, and pollen or other debris brought in by people entering a space. Dusting and vacuuming remove some but not all of the particulates in a space. Mold also requires moisture above 60% RH or leaks/condensation that leaves wetted materials in the room for several days in order to bloom or thrive. It is nearly impossible to reduce mold spores to zero outside of a completely sealed room and faculty, staff and students must be able to move about University spaces freely. Therefore, even with diligent housekeeping, debris related to human activity is difficult to control. That leaves us with moisture as the one variable that can be controlled relatively easily. 

Microbiologists recommend keeping RH below 60% to discourage the growth of mold. EHS recommends that RH be kept below 55% in campus spaces to have a margin of safety. Moisture from leaks or flooding must be aggressively dried via fans as soon as the moisture is discovered.

Both the EPA and Virginia Department of Health are reluctant to recommend mold testing since visible mold is an unconditional reason to clean and address moisture problems. Both agencies also consider musty odor and presence of excess moisture a definitive way to diagnose the potential for, or current, mold problems.  The American Industrial Hygiene Association (AIHA) and the American Conference of Governmental Industrial Hygienists (ACGIH) concur that RH consistently above 60% and high moisture meter readings or visible evidence of excess moisture and/or visible mold is sufficient evidence to determine whether there is a mold problem in a space.

Residents with mold concerns should submit a maintenance work order.  It is the policy of the facilities department to address these work orders according to the above mentioned guidelines. 

Residence halls are closed during Thanksgiving break, winter break, and spring break. Only Cochrane, the Graduate Life Center at Donaldson Brown, Newman, Hillcrest, and Main Campbell Halls and Oak Lane Community buildings are open during these academic-year breaks. Students in these buildings are required to sign up for housing during breaks. Students not living in these residence halls will need to find alternate accommodations. You should be prepared to vacate your room by the designated closing time for the breaks using closing instructions provided by your RA or HS. Residents are not permitted to return prior to the published opening time.

Dining plans are not active during academic breaks. Most dining centers are closed. Cash operation facilities may be open for limited service during breaks. Please review the dining center break schedules on the Housing and Residence Life website.

At the end of each semester, you are expected to check out within 24 hours of completing your last exam. Students found in the building after closing or before opening are subject to trespassing charges or immediate removal by Virginia Tech Police. Late departure requests are reviewed by Residence Life staff.

The residence hall schedule is available at

Routine extermination services are provided in residence hall public areas twice a month. If you have a pest problem (insects or rodents) in your room, submit a work order online at, and a pest control professional will treat your room as soon as possible.

Residents are responsible for practicing good housekeeping in their rooms and in the residence halls to help deter pests, e.g., proper food storage, clean bedding, prompt cleaning of dirty dishes/utensils and dirty laundry, regular trash removal from the room (including pizza boxes), and so forth. Residents who promote pest/vermin infestation will be responsible for the cost of extermination.

For both resident students and guests, animals (pets) are not permitted in the residence halls. The only exceptions are (1) guide dogs accompanying persons who have been approved through Services for Students with Disabilities (, and (2) fish contained in one aquarium, not to exceed 10 gallons, per room.    

Quiet hours are in effect Sunday through Thursday from 10:00 p.m. to 10:00 a.m., and Friday and Saturday from 11:30 p.m. to 11:00 a.m. During these hours, rooms, hallways, and other connecting areas should be generally noise-free. Twenty-four hour courtesy hours are always in effect. Residents are expected to be courteous. Upon request or complaint, students are expected to lower the noise level of their activity. During final examination periods, quiet hours are in effect 24 hours per day.

The university does not accept responsibility for loss of or damage to student property. Residents are encouraged to have adequate insurance to cover all belongings. If a homeowner's policy does not cover belongings while in the residence hall, the student is strongly recommended and encouraged to have a written rider for this purpose or purchase separate renter's insurance.

Residents must check out of the residence halls within 48 hours from the time of a student’s official withdrawal or suspension from the University.  Check-out includes completing the Room Condition Form with and returning room keys to a staff member or using the express check-out option. To obtain the housing signature on the University Withdrawal/Resignation form, students must have an approved plan for departure.

Check-out procedures and further details can be found at 

Students holding a residence hall contract who leave the university during the first week of class will forfeit $100 of their residence hall fee. Thereafter, the semester room charge, less $100, will be refunded over the first six weeks of the semester. If you withdraw after the beginning of the seventh week of the semester you will be charged the full room rate.

Residents called to active U.S. military duty are provided a full refund after following the University guidelines for military resignations.

All refunds will be calculated from the official room check-out date, which may not necessarily be the last day you attend class or officially resign from the university. No refund will be granted for a retroactive resignation that occurred in a previous fiscal year. 

The University encourages roommates to attempt to resolve issues that may be causing conflict. Residence Life staff in the residence hall are also available to help. Should a student still desire to change rooms, he or she must follow the room change procedure. Housing and Residence Life attempts to honor room changes on a space-availability basis after the roster verification process is completed at the start of each semester (approximately two weeks after the start of classes). Most changes require the approval of the student staff member (RA) and all room changes require the approval of Housing and Residence Life. If a student moves without approval, he or she may be required to return to the previous assignment and may be subject to Student Conduct action.

See also "Room Vacancies".

Details are available at

All residents will complete a RCF when moving into a room which contains an initial inspection report of the room's condition and furnishings. It is the responsibility of the student to review the RCF for accuracy and completeness. When a resident moves out of a room, the Resident Advisor/House Supervisor will use the RCF to assess the room condition and mark any changes from the initial condition.  This assessment may result in charges for damages or cleaning.    

Room personalization and holiday decorations must comply with regulations governing fire and electrical safety in the residence halls. The hallway side of the room or suite door may not be decorated. Only a small message/memo board (not exceeding 200 square inches) may be placed on this side of the door. Consult your RA or HS with any questions. Decorations that do not meet regulations must be removed. For more information, refer to the Policy for Residence Hall Decorations at

Please note that all curtains must have a manufacturer’s tag certifying that they are fire proof. 

A staff member may enter an individual room, or suite, or apartment under the following guidelines:

·      Belief that a policy violation may be occurring

·      Belief that someone may be in danger

·      Facility or maintenance needs

·      Safety or health inspections

In addition, the university reserves the right to enter into any residence hall space for the purposes of inspection, improvement, repair, to control the rooms in the event of an epidemic or emergency, or for any other purpose in accordance with the University Policies for Student Life, including unannounced inspections by the State Fire Marshall.

University staff will attempt to perform these functions with minimal inconvenience to residents. Maintenance inspections are not undertaken in order to discover prohibited conduct. However, if illegal substances or other policy violations are found in plain view during maintenance or housekeeping work, residents of the area may be subject to police action and/or a student conduct.

Any person charged with the enforcement of the Student Code of Conduct, University Policies for Student Life and residence hall policies and regulations may enter a room upon reasonable belief that a violation is occurring. Such entry does not constitute a search.

This procedure pertains to situations in which the Facilities Department staff must enter living spaces where residents have a reasonable expectation of privacy. Such areas include a resident’s room, suite area, as well as bathrooms located within a suite. When passing through more than one door where residents expect privacy, staff will perform this procedure at each door before entering (e.g., at the suite door, at the suite bathroom; at room doors within the suite, etc.)

It is the policy of the Facilities department to ensure that this procedure is followed each time that it becomes necessary for staff to enter a resident’s living space. Anytime staff leaves a residents space they are required to lock the door.


It is the responsibility of the employees to comply with the full content of this policy. It is the responsibility of the Supervision/Managers to enforce this policy and to take appropriate corrective action when necessary.

Accessing a Room with a Closed Door

  1. Knock firmly on the room door. Identify yourself by announcing your position. Wait five (5) seconds to give the resident ample time to respond. Anytime a resident answers staff should ask “Is now a good time to perform the work?
    If answer is YES
    1. Enter the room
    2. Upon entering the room, open the door fully. The door must remain open as long as you are in the room.
    3. When you work is completed, communicate this to the occupant and excuse yourself.
    If answer is NO
    1. Ask the resident when it will be convenient to perform the requested work, document response and exit.
    2. When you return later to perform the work, you again must follow appropriate entry procedure.
  2. If no response, knock firmly again. Identify yourself again. Wait another five (5) seconds for a response.
  3. If no response, knock firmly a third and final time. Identify yourself again. Wait five (5) seconds for a response.
  4. After three (3) attempts with no response, key into the room and open the door approximately 3 to 4 inches. Identify yourself a fourth time and announce that you are here to respond to a work order (or other function). Wait another five (5) seconds for a response.
  5. If no response, enter the space.
  6. Upon entering the space, open the door fully. The door must remain open as long as you are in the room (unless it is auto closed).
  7. When your work is completed, complete the blue Notice of Entry Hang Tag. Hang this tag on the inside door knob.
  8. Close and lock the door as you exit. Make sure the room is secure before you leave.


A typical residence hall at Virginia Tech consists of double-occupancy rooms with a single-sex community bathroom on each floor. Each room (except in suite-style residence halls) is furnished with a medicine cabinet or mirror, sink, two beds (often bunked), two mattresses, two desks, two desk chairs, two dressers, and closet space. Single rooms and suite options are limited, but sometimes available. A limited number of rooms are designated for permanent triple occupancy. Residence hall rooms and windows vary in size from building to building, and sometimes there are variations within a residence hall.

All room furnishings must remain in the room, including bed ends not currently in use. Furnishings from other student rooms, public lounges, or study lounges are not permitted in student rooms. If such furnishings are discovered in your room, you could be held accountable for inappropriate behavior related to theft by the Office of Student Conduct.

You are responsible for the condition of your room, including doors, locks, telephone, windows, walls, window screens, and all furnishings. Removing window screens is not permitted.

Your safety is important to us. You must not move a bed in front of or near a window in such a manner that it would be possible to roll out of bed and through an opened window or obstruct a possible escape route in the event of a fire.


Lofts are elevated beds that allow students to store items or place their desk under the bed. All rooms have loftable furniture. All furniture must remain in the room.  Students will be billed for any missing furniture at checkout.  Outside (self-built/purchased/rented) lofts are not permitted.

The use of “bed risers” or other elevating materials in conjunction with the beds may create an unstable situation and are not allowed.

In Slusher Tower and Slusher Wing halls, only one bed may be placed in the high/lofted configuration. Requirements for bed use/placement in Corps of Cadets areas is governed by Corps regulations.

All damages caused by the use of lofts are the responsibility of the resident.    

Prohibited attachments to student rooms include, but are not limited to, the following: locks, outside radio or television antennas or dishes, additional electrical or computer wiring, ceiling fans, web cameras, and air conditioners. 

Searches by law enforcement personnel are conducted under the applicable provisions of the law. If a search is conducted when you are not present, you will be notified in writing that a search has been conducted.    

Battery-powered or hard-wired smoke detectors are mounted in residence hall rooms. Virginia fire safety codes require weekly testing of battery-powered smoke detectors. You are responsible for testing the smoke detector in your room each week. For more information, or if a smoke detector fails to operate properly, contact your Resident Advisor or House Supervisor promptly. Resident advisors and house supervisors will check the room smoke detector logs during health and safety inspections to ensure residents are conducting and documenting the required weekly test. Additionally, the State Fire Marshall may conduct periodic room checks. Unauthorized removal of a smoke detector or batteries or failure to check a battery-operated smoke detector will result in a student complaint. O’Shaughnessy, Lee, Pritchard, East and West Ambler Johnston, Slusher Tower and Wing, New Residence Hall East, New Hall West, Peddrew-Yates, Payne, Harper, and the Oak Lane houses are equipped with sprinkler systems in student rooms and public areas. You may not hang anything on the sprinkler head or the cage/cover or do anything that may cause it to discharge.    

Any individual who must register as a Sex Offender is prohibited from living on-campus in a University residence hall.    

Residence halls, like all university buildings, are smoke-free facilities. Smoking is prohibited in all areas of the residence halls, including student rooms. Smokers should not crowd or congregate by doorways. The perimeter of residence halls, within 25 feet of the building, is a smoke-free zone.    

On campus storage for student belongings is not available.  All personal items excluding bikes must be stored within the student room.  Bike racks are available outside all facilities for bike storage.

Residence halls are intended for usage by students contracted to reside on-campus here at Virginia Tech. Non-residents may only access the buildings when escorted by a resident. All guests are governed by university and residence hall regulations. Resident hosts will be held accountable for their visitor’s/guest’s behavior. Hosts should make sure their visitors/guests are knowledgeable of all University policies, which include Housing and Residence Life policies.

The Housing and Residence Life Roommate Agreement is a process that empowers residents to outline how they will share living space with their roommate(s) for the academic year. Although Housing and Residence Life provides a visitation standard for guests, all residents through the Roommate Agreement process has the ability to dictate whether guests will be allowed in their space, along with the duration and behavioral expectations throughout the visit.

Non-residents and/or visitors must be escorted by the host from 7:00 p.m. to 10:00 a.m. in all living areas of the residence halls.

Housing and Dining Services designates residence halls as either coeducational or single-gender. Visitation in student rooms by members of the different gender is permitted only during designated hours as listed below.

Residents and guests are expected to use the community bathroom that matches their gender/gender identity.   While not present in all residence halls, a number of the buildings have gender neutral / ADA accessible bathrooms available.

Daily Visitation Hours for Members of Different Gender:

Option I (Available on a by-room basis on third floor of Johnson and Miles)
Friday-Saturday 10 a.m.–2 a.m.
Sunday 10 a.m.–midnight
Monday-Thursday Not allowed

Option II (Johnson and Miles)
Sunday-Thursday 10 a.m.–midnight
Friday-Saturday 10 a.m.–2 a.m.

Option III (All other non-cadet halls, except those listed in Option IV)
Sunday-Thursday 10 a.m.–midnight.
Friday-Saturday 10 a.m.–2 a.m.

Option IV (Hillcrest, Harper, Main Campbell, Graduate Life Center at Donaldson Brown, Payne, Ambler-Johnston, New Residence Hall East, New Hall West, and Peddrew-Yates)
Open Visitation (24 hours/day, 7 days/week)

Overnight Visitation Policy:

Housing and Residence Life maintains that overnight visitors may not stay longer than 3 concurrent days within a 7 day period and visits should be sporadic in nature (3 or less visits per month). All overnight visits must be in alignment with the agreed upon Roommate Agreement.  Visitation that appears to be excessive, to be infringing on the ability of the roommate to use the room effectively, or that appears to be an extended stay will be addressed by building staff and may be disapproved by Housing and Residence Life. Such actions may also be recommended to Student Conduct for adjudication.    

Any resident can submit at work order for their room or suite.  Generally work orders for common areas of the residence hall are written by the Resident Advisor/House Supervisor.  To submit a work order, go to  

Maintenance emergencies, including, but not limited to, flooding, interruption of electrical power, broken windows and locks, or other issues that affect the safety of the residents should be reported promptly to the Resident Advisor or House Supervisor on duty. During the normal weekday business hours, you can also contact the Housing and Residence Life directly to report emergencies at (540) 231-1111. During the evenings and overnight, your Resident Advisor or House Supervisor can contact the on-call housing personnel to address emergencies.

To escalate a concern about a regular work order, the Housing Services Facilities Help Desk can be reached at 1-1111.    

Network Infrastructure and Services (NI&S) provide telecommunications services (Ethernet data connectivity, wireless internet, and cable video services) to residence hall students.  

NI&S provides Ethernet and wireless network access, along with cable television services to students’ rooms. Emergency telephones are available in residence hall common areas and provide direct access to the Virginia Tech Police. Information on telecommunication policies and procedures may be found at The Student Network Services office is also available to answer any questions.  This office is located in room 120 in the Student Services Building and can also be reached by telephone at 540-231-3000.

Repairing/Replacing Telecommunications or Network Equipment

In cases of damaged, altered, or stolen telecommunication, cable television equipment or connections, and/or wireless access points, students will be jointly and severally responsible for the cost of repair and/or replacement. If Virginia Tech is unable to identify the responsible individual, the cost will be split between those who were residents of the room at the time the damage occurred. Students need to contact the university’s Information Center (540-231-4357) for repair or replacement of equipment. Problems with theft or vandalism should be reported to the Virginia Tech Police by calling 540-231-6411.

Acceptable Use

Access to computer systems and networks owned or operated by Virginia Tech imposes certain responsibilities and obligations and is granted subject to university policies, and local, state, and federal laws. Acceptable use always is ethical, reflects academic honesty, and shows restraint in the consumption of shared resources. It demonstrates respect for intellectual property, ownership of data, system security mechanisms, and individuals' rights to privacy and to freedom from intimidation and harassment.  Housing and Residence Life cooperates with NI&Sand other agencies in adhering to this policy.

For more information, please see

The referring policy is Policy 7000: Acceptable Use and Administration of Computer and Communication Systems.